image Historic Trumpy yacht half hull



Extremely rare survivor of the Trumpy boatyard fire of 1962

The old Trumpy boatyard was located in Eastport on Severn Ave. between 3rd and 2nd Streets, and today consists of multiple maritime businesses and the Annapolis Chart House restaurant.

John Trumpy & Sons

By mid-1942 increased [war] demand meant that the Camden yard capacity was needed for government contracts, so the Mathis Yacht Building Co. relocated to Gloucester City, New Jersey, just downriver of Camden, and was renamed John Trumpy & Sons in 1943. In 1947, the Trumpy company relocated to Annapolis, Maryland.

In 1962 the Annapolis yard was destroyed in a fire and a year later, at the age of 84, John Trumpy died. The company continued under the control his son John Trumpy, Jr., but rising costs, a labor strike, and the advent of cheaper fiberglass hulls, meant that in 1974 the company was wound up.

In February 2009 a new company, Trumpy Yachts, was founded by Jim Ewing, Jock West, and Johan Trumpy (grandson of John Trumpy) to build yachts based on original John Trumpy designs.

Excerpt from Wikipedia