This Engine Room Wrench is from the wreck of the SS PHILADELPHIA (1868-1893). She sank after colliding with the SS ALBANY in dense fog on Lake Huron. The Wrench was recovered near Point aux Barques, in 1975, at location N 44 04′ 120″ and W 82 42′ 992″ in 125 feet of water. The PHILADELPHIA was built by D. Bell Shipbuilding Co. who also built the first iron Revenue Cutters HAMILTON and GALLATIN in 1871. The Revenue Cutter Service operated under the authority of the U.S. Department of the Treasury until 28 January 1915, when the service was merged by an act of Congress with the United States Life-Saving Service to form the United States Coast Guard.
This extremely large and rare tool is almost 5 1/2 feet tall (see the photo above with a captain’s chair for size reference – chair not included).