Crowbar, Solid Bronze Spark Proof SS Diamond Head
The USS Diamond Head (AE-19) was a U.S. ammunition ship. Launched on February 3, 1945, the ship was built by the North Carolina Shipbuilding Co., Wilmington, N.C. under a Maritime Commission contract, and sponsored by Mrs. D. Bill. Transferred to the U.S. Navy on March 10, 1945, and converted at Bethlehem Key Highway Shipyard, Baltimore, Md. to carry and transfer naval ammunition, the ship was commissioned on August 9, 1945, under the command of Lieutenant Commander F. C. Snow, USNR.
Diamond Head was placed out of commission and into the reserve fleet on August 23, 1946 and recommissioned on August 9, 1951, as part of the naval expansion brought about by the Korean War.
On March 16, 1967, Diamond Head left Norfolk, VA, for a nine-month deployment off Vietnam. Diamond Head supplied the antiquated bombs that led to the disaster aboard the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal. The ship also visited Manila; Hong Kong; Sasebo, Japan; Pearl Harbor; San Diego; and Panama City for much appreciated Rest & Recreation.
The ship was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on March 1, 1973 and sold for scrapping in 1974.