Wrench, Engine Room, 64 Inches
This Engine Room Wrench is from the wreck of the SS PHILADELPHIA (1868-1893). She sank after colliding with the SS ALBANY in dense fog on Lake Huron. The Wrench was recovered near Point aux Barques, in 1975, at location N 44 04 120 and W 82 42 992 in 125 feet of water. The PHILADELPHIA was built by D. Bell Shipbuilding Co. who also built the first iron Revenue Cutters HAMILTON and GALLATIN in 1871.
This extremely large and rare tool is almost 5 1/2 feet tall (see the photo above with a captain’s chair for size reference – chair not included).